Today I’m going to run down my five favorite vaporizer pens for herb, my favorite thing to have at a festival or rock concert. Let’s get one thing straight before we start. There’s no such thing as perfect vaporization of dry weed from one of these conduction chambers, okay? It’s not going to happen. Anybody who tells you they don’t result in combustion, or you have to hold the button and breathe just so and so…NO.
They all burn your herb. Period.
The reason you’re buying these glorified pipes is to get stoned discreetly. Pure and simple. Don’t buy it to make your weed last a long time. Don’t buy it to preserve your lungs. Buy them because they’re cheap, sexy and cool looking. If you want something that’s going to really vaporize, you want something like the Ascent Vaporizer (read a review here).
But today we’re focusing on the pens.
And I know it sounds like I’m talking shit, but I seriously think there’s a legitimate time and place for these things. If you’re at a concert and you want to bake out without being all obvious, firing up a joint and attracting attention, then consider buying one of these pen vaporizers from my favorite online vape store.
1. AtmosRX – This vape has been around for a while and while it has some great name recognition, it’s gotten a pretty mixed response. High Times digs it, but it’s had a lot of hate thrown its’ way too. At the end of the day, The Vape Formerly Known as AtmosRAW has a really powerful battery and a dependable heating coil. I’ve had mine for a year now and it still hasn’t burned out.
2. SkyCloud by KandyPens – They improved this one a lot on the new model as compared to the first edition. Wax and Oil chamber compatibility aside, this one actually does a pretty good job of extracting the good shit from your herb. It’s a thinner chamber than the AtmosRx, so you don’t use as much bud, but you do need to reload more frequently. It’s pretty cool to see a company taking female sensibilities into consideration. Their Instagram shows a whole bunch of ladies vaping on different shiny colors. KandyPens makes the list because their vapes go with any outfit!
3. Vaporite Platinum 3-in-One – It’s been called the Budy Pen for a while, and I guess they thought that sounded stupid. I certainly did. This model also features the 3 different attachments and for herbs the Platinum is far superior in functioning and reliability. The skillet is pretty similar to the AtmosRX but it’s more tightly wound, so who knows? Maybe this one will move up the list. It’s served me well at HARD Fest a couple weeks ago. But for now it’s new so more R&D is necessary.
4. T-Vape – The guys at Square made a “true herb vape” that’s difficult to classify as a pen due to the sheer girth of the thing, but I figured I’d include it anyway because it’s a really solid product and comes closer than any of these to actually vaporizing the shit without burning through it.
It’s also got the sexiest look and best feel for a mouthpiece of any of these vapes, so I had to give it points for individuality. I love a vape that’s doing something different and this definitely qualifies.
5. Dube 2 by White Rhino – While this might not be the most efficient or long-lasting vape on the planet (I’ve been through 3 now) it’s definitely my go-to if I know I’m going to be in an setting where smoking is highly frowned upon. I’m pretty sure White Rhino wanted a vape that looked like those Steven Dorff Blu e-cigs, and they did a pretty good job of that. The only thing I don’t like is that they wrote the name all huge on the end of the thing.
That makes me palm it more than I’d like, but hey, no one’s perfect, right?
So like I said, none of these contraptions are going to save the world. But they will definitely do a better job of getting you blazed at Bonnaroo than the old-fashioned glass piece. And more importantly, they’ll keep you out of the scrutiny of prying security guards.
All of these vapes you can get super cheap for less than $100. That’s why I recommend them. If you’ve got the money to burn, definitely get one of the more expensive machines for home use. They’re worth it. If all you want to do is get a quick buzz on in public, you can’t go wrong with these highly portable pen vaporizers.